Google+ Followers

Friday, July 6, 2012

What's cooking

Well folks, it's 4th of July week and the heat has been on high here in St Louis Mo. We have had 10 straight day of 100 degree plus temps. Many of them were record breakers. So when it get this hot it's hard to get outside and fire up the grill or smoker. That would be for most of you, but not for me. I have gotten bit with this competition bug and the only way to get better is to fire up the grill and the smokers and cook up some meat.

There seem to always be a new rub or sauce recipe to try. Got to try foiling meat versus not foiling. Then there's injections have to try them at home to see if they are any good or do they make the meat too salty. You don't want to go to a contest and find out that the injection you used is making the meat too salty or maybe the rub you used just doesn't taste good. You have to always try to get better and be willing to try different things, but experiment at home not at a contest.

So while I did try some new things, I also cooked up some standard fare such as pork steaks and I even grilled some hot dogs that were great for a change of pace. A hot dog fresh off the grill and dressed up with relish and onions and a little mustard can be as good as a steak sometimes. Then add some cold watermelon and a cold beer and it just doesn't get any better than that. That's a real All American meal to celebrate America's birthday.

So I hope this week found you all well, and I hope you enjoyed the holiday.

 When I find a new rub, sauce or injection that makes my BBQ better you can be sure I'll pass it along.