Google+ Followers

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Radio is FUN!!

Well folks, I did something for the first time last night and I had a ball. Shane Draper of Draper's BBQ has a internet radio show called Gettin Sauced. The show airs every Wednesday night at 7 PM. I have been listening to it for awhile now and I enjoy hearing  about what is going on in the world of BBQ. He always has some quests and they talk about what they do in BBQ and share some info.  It's a fun 2 hours and I get to learn how others are enjoying the BBQ world.

So for whatever reason Shane asked me to come on his show and he would interview me about what I do in BBQ and the BBQ community here in St. Louis.  I wasn't sure, but he said come on, "it will be fun" so I agreed  to call in and let him interview me.

So he told me I would be on in the second hour and to call in a couple of minutes before 8PM. Well I listen to the first hour with Jason Baker of Green Mountain Grills and I learned about pellet grills and how they are growing  in popularity.  Jason was great and had set the bar high for me to follow. So a little before 8 I called the show. I'm not a tech guy but I used my g mail  phone. Thinking I would use my headphones to hear better and it would be hands free. Sounded like a plan to me.

WRONG!! using the g mail phone caused a feedback problem. Shane couldn't hear me. Tried calling in twice, both times not good. So I grabbed my cell phone and called again. We got a connection that we both could hear each other. Bad start to my intro into the radio world.

It took me a couple of minutes to settle down from the phone not working , but Shane was a pro and took everything in stride. Throwing  me softball questions and letting me relax. After a few minutes I forgot that I was being interviewed and it felt like I was just talking BBQ with a friend. Which is really what I was doing.

The next thing I know the hour was up and Shane was thanking me for coming on and inviting me to get down to Kentucky to cook a contest with him. That is something I'm looking forward to doing and shake the hand of a very nice young man that guided me though my first radio interview. After the show my son and daughter in-law called and said I did good, my wife said I didn't do anything to bring shame to the family name. I got on facebook and couple of BBQ buddies that were listening, messaged me and said I did a good job.

So that's a short recap of my first experience in media. Bottom line. I liked it and hope to get the chance to do it again.