Google+ Followers

Friday, June 15, 2012

The Texas Crutch

Well folks, sorry I've been a little lax about posting on the blog. I have been a little busy and really couldn't think of anything to write about. I have a contest next weekend and have started to get my game plan in place. This will be my first time cooking all four meats and  I am a little worried about getting everything done and meeting the turn in times. This is where the Texas crutch comes into play and it allows you speed up the cook of your bigger cuts of meat and can get ribs tender when you need to speed up the cook.

I know, you want to know what the hell I'm talking about and what is this Texas crutch and where do you get one. Chance's are you already have it in your kitchen, it's aluminum foil. That's right, the way to speed up the cook and get a brisket or pork butt done when time is getting short, is to wrap the meat tightly with aluminum foil with a little liquid  and return it to the fire. The liquid  will help steam the meat to tenderize and get the meat up to temp. faster.

This also work with ribs. About a 1/2 hour wrapped  in foil will get the ribs to pull back from the bone and really gets them tender. In a contest you have to be careful not  leave them in the foil too long, because left too long and they will be falling off the bone. At home everyone will love them but at a contest falling off the bone ribs will kill your scores.

Now why is it called the Texas crutch, I really don't know. I would guess it came about because some pit master in Texas was having trouble getting his brisket tender and was running out of time before turn in, and out of ideas, tried wrapping his brisket with some some aluminum foil and some beef broth. It worked  and that became the Texas crutch that many  pit masters use today.