Google+ Followers

Monday, May 7, 2012

Stuffed Peppers

Well folks; today I'll give you the step by step recipe on how I made stuffed peppers in the Ugly Drum Smoker.  I love the UDS its a cooking machine that's cheap and easy to make and it doesn't require a lot of charcoal. The drum is almost a set it and leave it cooker, just takes a little practice because each drum cooks a little different, but once you get it dialed in, nothing but goodness will come out of these smokers. For this recipe  I got the heat up to about 280 degrees with 1 cube of MOJO Hickory for smoke flavor.

Now for these peppers I used 1 red  2 yellow and 3 green peppers. Cut off the tops and remove the cores and  seeds, rinse them out and place them in a aluminum pan. Then for the stuffing I used 1 lb. of ground beef and 1 lb. Italian sausage. I browned the meat with a half cup diced onion and 1Tablespoon of minced garlic. After the meat has browned add 1 can dice tomato. I used a Italian blend with Basel and garlic. After this has cooked for about 5 minutes add 2 cups cooked white rice, then add 1 cup shredded Sharp Cheddar cheese letting the cheese melt while stirring to mix. After cheese has melted its time to stuff the peppers. Remove the mixture from the heat and spoon the mixture into the peppers filling to the top.  Then top the peppers with a tablespoon of spaghetti sauce and then top them with some more cheddar cheese. Put 1 cup of the red sauce into the bottom of the pan with a 1/4 cup of water.

Now place the pan on the UDS  that's settled in at 290 degrees and just a thin blue line of smoke coming from the chimney. Close the lid and let the Magic begin. After a hour I checked the peppers they were tender, and the cheese had melted to what looked like pure goodness.

I served these with mash potato's and used the sauce from the bottom of the pan as gravy. To say these were good is a under statement. They had just a hint of smoke flavor that I love. I preferred the red and yellow peppers because the had more sweetness then the green peppers, but overall this was a hit. The wife said it was a definite do again. So when you don't want BBQ here is a way that you can still fire up the  smoker and make some very good eating.