Google+ Followers

Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day 2012

Well folks: today is Memorial Day in the United States. It is a day to remember those that gave all for our country. It is also a day to thank those that have served or are serving in the military. I served in the Air Force during the Vietnam era, and I was lucky and served my time during that war in country. I served in Texas and South Dakota. My service to country was making sure the A/C and refrigeration stayed on in the PX. Other than that I spent most of my time trying to find a girl that would give me the time of day.

But I went to  high school and have since met many a man that did serve in that war. Some of the guys I went to school with came back wounded, and a few never made it back. I have a friend that has a Purple Heart that still today, after 40 plus years will want to dive under a table if a loud bang is behind him. I admire these guys for doing what the country needed them to do at that time, and sometimes feel a little guilty about my service and that I didn't do more.

So I'm going to BBQ some Pork Steaks today and I'll drink a few beers. What I'm asking you to do as you enjoy this extra day off of work, is to take a minute and remember those that gave so much  and especially those that gave all.