Google+ Followers

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

If it was easy everyone would do it

Well folks: today I'll talk a little about competition BBQ. I'm a rookie and just learning my way in competitive BBQ, but saw something last week that told me this isn't easy. I have been in about 6 contest all non sanctioned but some them have had as many as 28 to 30 teams.  Some of those teams are what I would consider PRO they have the thousand dollar smokers and compete in some KCBS contest. I have done alright in these contest won categories and seemed to always place and get my name called. In other words I'm starting to think I'm not half bad at this BBQ stuff. So I'm stepping up and going to some sanctioned contest and compete against some better teams.

Then this last week I saw just how tough this competitive BBQ stuff can be. First I'll tell you a little about the judging. There are 4 divisions Beef Brisket,Pork Butt, Ribs, and Chicken. There are 6 judges doing a blind taste. They are judging Appearance, Tenderness, Texture, and Taste. scoring on a scale with 9 being perfect. So there is a possible 36 that each judge can score each entry.  The low score is thrown out so a perfect entry  is scored 180. Getting a 180 score is like bowling a 300 game or hitting a hole in one in golf. Something to shoot for but very seldom achieved.

Now back to my story.  There is a team from Washington Mo B&B BBQ and Catering. The Pit Master is Jeff Brinker. I've met Jeff and have been following him as he competes just to see how he does. Well after winning a Grand Championship at the Washington Mo contest on April 21. He went to Rodger AK the following week to compete again. He knocked it out of the park, He scored a 180 in Chicken but he didn't stop there he scored a 180 in Pork Butt. That's 2 180 scores in the same contest. That's like bowling 2, 300 games on the same night or getting 2 holes in ones in the same round.

So you have to believe he won another Grand Championship right,,,,, well you would be wrong he finished 4th!!!  That's right scored 180 in 2 categories  and finished 4th. So if anyone thinks this is easy and its just some people spending  a weekend cooking what you do in the back yard. I'm here to tell you it's not easy. Jeff can attest to that, and I'm starting to wonder what I've signed myself up for. I'll keep you posted on how I do, just don't expect any 180 scores from me.