Google+ Followers

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Practice, Practice, Practice

Well folks: I've been busy with work and haven't been keeping  you updated like I should. I said we would talk about fish and we will, just not right now. Since we last talked I have signed up for 2 contest, one in May and the other one in June. With that commitment I have to start  working on my contest BBQ. That means PRACTICE!!!

The first contest is on May 19, and it is a little different in that the beef category is open, and it is a one day event. Starting at 11AM  ending at 6PM. That means there isn't enough time for Brisket,which is what is normally cooked in a contest.Normally you put your brisket on the smoker Friday  night low and slow and you have time to get the brisket nice and tender. This one you can turn in anything beef. You just have to WOW the judges with your choice. I know some guys will be doing Steaks everything from Prime Rib to T Bones and Rib Eyes. Some will be doing Tenderloins guys like to stuff them,all trying to WOW the judges.

I have decided I'm going to do Beef Short Ribs. I get them as a rack of 4 to 5 bones. When these are done right they have Great eye appeal.  As these cook the beef pulls back from the bone leaving a tasty piece of beef , with a nice bone handle.


That is why I'm calling this post Practice, Practice, Practice. I have to do these a few time so I can get my time line down. I want these to be tender and perfect at turn in time. I am trying different seasoning to get the most flavor, without over powering the natural flavor of the beef.

So if any of my fellow competitors are reading this, you now know what I'll be turning in for the beef category. Just know that I have been working to get these to perfection,so get your game face on, because I'm in it to win it.

Next on the practice schedule, what every Pit Master hates... Chicken.