Google+ Followers

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Turkey in the Big Easy

Well Folks: Today I'll talk about how to do the Turkey in a Char Broil Big Easy. First off, let me start by saying I'm not paid by Char Broil nor did they give a cooker to try. I bought my Big Easy off their web site paying retail price. The reason I wanted to use this cooker is because of their claim of being a Oil less turkey fryer. I have fried a Turkey in oil,and had good results. My problem with frying in oil is, number one safety and number 2 what the hell do I do with all that oil after cooking a Turkey. I found this is not the cheapest way to cook a turkey with the price of peanut oil and the amount of oil you need to fry a turkey. It is fast, and the turkey did come out tasty but a lot of hassle and expense for a one time event.

So I got the Char Broil Big Easy 2 years ago and found it to be a good alternative to a oil fryer. You don't have to heat the oil and worry about the dog or a child turning it over. It doesn't have to be watched the entire time the turkey is cooking. So lets cook a turkey in the Big Easy, I use a propane cooker I think they now offer a electric version. Can't speak about how the electric works but if it's as good as the propane I'm sure you will be happy.

To cook turkey in the Big Easy you follow the same method as I talked about in post about smoking on a grill. You remove from the brine pat dry and rub the turkey with olive oil and season just like you would if cooking on the grill or the oven. I like doing about a 12 to 14 pound turkey no matter if I'm smoking or doing a bird in the Big Easy. The neat part about the Big Easy is there is no preheating necessary, just put the bird in the basket turn the burner on and put the basket down in the cooker. It takes about 10 minutes per pound to cook a turkey, but this is just a guide line, you will want to check the turkey with a good thermometer to check the thigh and the breast,you are looking for 165 degrees.

After you have the turkey cooked to temp, again you will want to let it rest for 15 to 30 minutes so all the juices settle down before craving. I did 2 turkeys for Thanksgiving and got a split opinions on which one everyone liked the best. I got to be honest, I liked the Big Easy Turkey best between the two, but I wouldn't turn either one down. Got great results on both Turkeys.

So now remember, Turkey isn't just a holiday meal it can be a nice change of pace anytime of year.

Tomorrow, Lets talk about getting ready for a contest.