Google+ Followers

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Let's Talk Turkey

Well Folks: Today lets talk turkey. Turkey on the grill is really one of the easiest things to smoke on the grill. Turkey is also something that I like to do in the summer when everyone is doing Pork Steaks and Ribs, and you throw them a change up with a Delicious smoked turkey. Everyone will be happy to have something a little different and Turkey doesn't have to be served only on Thanksgiving.

So lets do a Turkey when nobody excepts it. I like to brine my Turkey a brine just insures a moist bird,  and once you use a brine you will never cook another Turkey without taking the time to brine your Turkey. A simple brine is one I got from one of my favorite Blogs, padiodaddiobbq.com. you will need

1 1/2 gallons Ice Water lots of ice
1/2 gallon  Hot Tap Water
2 Cups Dark Brown Sugar
1 1/2 cups Kosher Salt
1/4 Cup Old Bay Seasoning
1 tsp Chinese Five Spice  ( you can find this in the Asian section of your store)
Juice of 2 Oranges
Juice of 2 Lemons

Bring the 1/2 gallon of tap water to a boil and add all the the ingredients take off the heat and stir to dissolve the salt. After everything has dissolved and cooled some what add this mixture with the Ice water in a food safe bucket. Just a note I got my food safe buckets from the bakery dept at Schnuck's for free, Just ask if they have any Icing Buckets.

Now add the Turkey to this mixture and add more Ice if you have to completely cover the bird. Now find a cold place to store this for at least 45 minute per pound. I like to leave it over night.  It's important to keep everything below 40 degrees either in a large Ice chest covered with blankets or in a refrigerator, I make room in my Beer fridge in the garage

That's enough for today.

Tomorrow, lets gets this Bird in some smoke.