Google+ Followers

Thursday, February 9, 2012

The Ribs Post,Final Comments

Well Folks: The Ribs have been smoked, and my hope is that when you followed the write up I have shared with you, that you will love these ribs as much as my family and I do. There are few things I can tell you that you may want to try that  I didn't include in the write up. I wanted to make it as simple as I could, and with ingredients that everyone should already have in the pantry at home. One thing you may want to use is my Rib Spritz. I got this from Myron Mixon's  cook book, for those who don't know who Myron is, he's the winnings man in BBQ so it is worth taking the time to read his cook book.

His Ribs spritz is easy to make and works well with Ribs, Pork Steaks and Pork Butt. So with all the credit going to Myron here is his Spritz recipe.
3 Cups apple juice
2 Cups white wine vinegar
2 Tablespoons liquid imitation butter

In a large spray bottle combine all the ingredients. Shake well to blend.

Now this make 5 cups of spritz so I have cut it in half so I don't have  a large bottle sitting in the fridge.

Now, if you prefer Baby Back ribs for your BBQ. No Problem just know that removing the membrane can be a little harder and sometimes it will have already been removed. I have sometimes just scored the membrane in a X pattern and haven't had a problem. Scoring allows the seasoning and spritz to penetrate the ribs.

Also Baby backs will require less time to cook . So instead of using the 2-1-1 timing method . You will reduce each stage,I reduce the time to, 1 1/2 -hour smoking then 45 minutes foiled, and finish with 45 minutes for firming up and saucing. This is a starting point, Part of the art of BBQ is being able to adjust to how the meat is reacting to the heat and smoke. Experience is really the best teacher but every thing I have told you is a starting point, and as you BBQ more you will develop your own style.

Now last I will touch on the sauce. Right now I found a new sauce that I'm going to try and see what the judges in the St Louis area think of it, I really like the flavor. hopefully the judges will too. That sauce is Drapers BBQ sauce. They are out of Kentucky, and only available on the internet. If you order some be sure to tell Shane that I told you about the sauce. Next choice of sauce is the one that I have been using, and that's Blue's Hog Regular and also their Tennessee Red style. I'm mixing both flavors in a 50/50 combo. Blues Hog Reg. is a very sweet sauce and the Tennessee Red is a spicier sauce with a lot of pepper in the mix. By combining them I have gotten a nice flavor combo. Last but not least a St Louis staple Maull's. My wife likes when I combine Maull's KC style with a bottle of Sweet Baby Rays.

So when it come to sauce's try different brands  try mixing different styles and flavors in combinations to get your own unique flavor profile. You can also get real ambitious and make your own sauce. There's
 even some contest that include a sauce category.

That's enough for today.Thanks for reading and please feel free to share this blog with your friends and if you have any questions, leave a comment, or send me a email.

Tomorrow  I'll talk about Temperature control.