Google+ Followers

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Spatchcock Chicken

Well Folks: Writing a Blog is new to me, and I'm learning as I go. For some of you that read my post yesterday at the end, I said today would be about Pork Steaks. The problem with that is,I have already written about Pork Steaks just a few days ago. Once I realized that, I edited the post to say today would be about Spatchcock Chicken.

So lets talk Spatchcock Chicken , I know for some of you this may be a term you haven't heard before. Fear not, we aren't going to do anything Illegal  with a chicken. Spatchcocking a chicken is just removing the back bone, and flatting the bird out. This is really pretty easy to do, and allows you to speed up the cooking time and also allows you to easily season both the outside and the inside of the Chicken. You can do this with a Turkey if you want. I'm talking chicken today because that's what I have a picture to show.

 Now to do this, the easiest way is to use some poultry  shears and cut down both sides of the back bone to remove it. Then flatten the bird out like a book. You will see this is easy once you take the leap and give it a try. Remember this isn't hard,it just cooking.

Now after getting the bird flat it's time to season it up. I like Plow Boys Yardbird seasoning , but you can use whatever seasoning you like. This is why BBQ is so much about personal taste, it's okay to use a seasoning that I haven't mentioned if you and your family likes it. Just be sure to share what you used that tasted good so we all can try it.

After the bird is seasoned it's time to put on the grill. As you know by now I cook almost everything indirect.   You want to get the grill  at about 275 to 300 degrees and I like to use either Apple or Cherry wood for smoke flavor. Place the bird on the grill with the thigh and legs closest to the coals with the breast meat further from the hot coals to prevent drying out the breast meat.

With a fast reading thermometer you want to remove the chicken from the grill at about 170 degrees and let it rest for about 15 minutes before cutting into pieces. Depending on your grill temp. and the size of the chicken this should take about a hour. Don't be afraid to turn the bird to get a even cook. If you got a Weber Smoky Mountain Cooker or a Ugly Drum this is a great way to smoke a chicken. This is also a great time to have a remote thermometer to watch the temps. with out removing the lid.

Hope this was helpful and gives you another way to cook chicken. Try it and see how it works for you, and let me know what you think.

Tomorrow, Smoked Mac and Cheese.