Google+ Followers

Friday, February 17, 2012

Smoked Mac and Cheese

Well Folks, Today I'll talk about one of the most common side dishes, Mac and Cheese. This is a real staple in our family meals, and my Mother in-law always makes her special recipe when the whole family gets together. When asked for a recipe,  she says there is no real recipe she just puts it together and each time it may be different. I'm not believing that, I think she's holding out, and wants the Mac and Cheese to be her special dish. Fair enough, so I have went out looking for my own Mac and Cheese recipe that I can use with my BBQ gear to make a dish that will rival hers.

So I went to the BBQ Brethren Forum and started looking for a recipes. I have found many, but one was just real simple and sounded pretty good. This recipe is from J.M. Setzler from Valdese, NC. I always want to give credit to whoever I get a recipe from, even if I adjust  or add something to make it my own. So lets get started and smoke some Mac and Cheese. To make this you will need.

1- 16oz box Macaroni
2 cans Campbell Cheddar cheese soup
1 cup Milk
1/2 cup Shredded Parmesan  Cheese
2 cups Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
6 Strips Cooked Bacon

Boil the Macaroni per package  instructions, after draining well, put the drained Macaroni in a bowl and add the Cheddar Cheese soup with the Milk and Parmesan Cheese, also crumble the bacon and add to the mixture. After mixing put the mixture in a half a lasagna aluminum pan, topping with the Shredded Cheddar Cheese.

Now put this on your grill that is at 250 to 275 degrees and cook for 1 hour. The grill should be set up for indirect cooking , for this I like to to put my coals on each side with the pan placed in between the banks of coals. I use a chunk of Hickory for the smoke flavor.

I have used Pork Shanks instead of Bacon with good results and one day I'm going to do this with Lobster. Heck I guess you could leave the meat out all together, I just doubt I'll every leave meat out of anything, if I have a choice.

That's it for this week, I think we'll start next week, talking spices. Remember to pass this Blog on to your friends and leave a commit if you have any questions.