Google+ Followers

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast

Well Folks: Today I'll do a short take on how I grill Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast. Chicken Breast is a favorite because it is low in fat and in today's health crazed days, it has become a popular  entree to grill .  The chicken breast is also  popular because it can be grilled and on the plate very quickly. In today's hurried lifestyle meals in a hurry can be very important. So I'll give you a run down on how I grill chicken breast  when we need a fast meal.

Yesterday I mentioned that the biggest mistake I see most folk making when they grill chicken breast, is that they overcook them. This is when a good quick reading thermometer comes into play. Chicken is done at 165 degrees and since chicken breast has very little fat, if you go past this temp, you will begin drying out the meat. Dry chicken breast is not very flavorful and becomes tough and chewy.

So what I do to prevent this I use a knife to make a fillet cut into the thicker part of the breast  and lay it over so the whole breast is the same thickness. This will help in achieving a even cook and preventing drying out the breast. After getting the breast to a even thickness, I give them a  light coat of seasoning such as Country Bob's seasoning or my stand by Plowboy's Yardbird. After getting your grill up to medium high temperature  put the chicken on the grill, and close the lid. After about 5 minutes turn the chicken and at this time I like to get a temperature reading. This way I know where I'm at and can estimate how much longer I will need to cook the breast.  Once you have that info close the lid and after about 5 minutes turn the breast and take another temperature reading and finish the cook. When the breast is at 160 degrees take them off the grill and let them rest for about 10 minutes. They will finish cooking and be ready to eat. Also by resting, the juices will redistribute  though the breast so you won't lose all that great flavor.

Now these make a very good sandwich as they are or if you want to add some BBQ sauce you can start  brushing with sauce when the breast are at about 150 degrees and still take them off the grill when they reach 160 and let them rest to finish. They continue to cook after you remove them from the grill. They also go well with some Wild Rice or some potato salad.

If you follow this method I'm sure you will get very good results and dry chewy chicken breast will no longer be a problem.

That's it for today, be sure to pass this along to your friends.

Tomorrow, Lets smoke some pinto beans.