Google+ Followers

Thursday, January 26, 2012

My Gear

Today I'm going to talk about my Pits, Smokers and Grill. I called this blog "Don and his Grill", but truth be told, I don't grill that much. What I do most is BBQ/ Smoke. When I do grill a Steak or want to grill up some hot dogs or a Hamburgers real quick, I'll turn on my Jenn Air Gas grill. With this grill I can get the high heat I need to sear a steak or grill a Hamburger. The other Gas tool I have is the Char-Broil Big Easy. This is a oil less turkey fryer that can do a lot more than cook some very tasty Holiday Turkey. In the future I'll show how this can be a year round cooker that you will use for more than turkey. Next in my arsenal is the Ugly Drum Smoker. The Ugly Drum is a 55 Gallon barrel that is made into one of the best Smokers you will ever use, and it cost less than $100.00 to build. I won't go into how to build one, but all you have to do is Google the term, Ugly Drum Smokers, and you will find 100's of sites with instructions and plans on how to build your Ugly Drum in a afternoon. You can also go to a site called "The BBQ Brethren" they have a thread that is close to 500 pages with pictures and plans on how to build one. I'll just say that I have built 3 of them. Two for my BBQ team and I gave one to my son. It's a smoking machine and is responsible for me winning  a couple of trophies. Last but not least is my Weber Platinum Kettle. This is the one pit I have had the longest, and it is what I used when I began learning how to make BBQ.

All of these are tools I use when I compete or when I'm cooking at home. When I go to a contest, I take both of my Ugly Drums and the Weber Kettle. Each one has it place in producing the best BBQ to turn in to the judges. Each one has to be watched and controlled to achieve the temperature that will give each of the meats the right flavor profile.This is competing on a shoestring, but I have competed against teams that have the $5000.00 to $10,000.00 rigs, and I have beat them. That's not to say I wouldn't like one of those rigs,its just to let you know you don't have to spend thousands of dollars to make Great BBQ. I will tell you in future installments how I use each one of these so you can also make some Great BBQ.